There is life beyond addiction, and SMART Recovery can help people get there.
Self-Management And Recovery Training (SMART) is an evidence-based, peer-led program to help people manage their recovery from any addictive behavior – even in the midst of COVID-19 stress.
“The pandemic has made recovery difficult for many due to fear, uncertainty, loss, grief and isolation,” said Casey White, Peer Recovery Coach at Axis Health System.
Axis SMART Recovery meetings are currently held twice a week on Zoom as a safe alternative to in-person support groups. The meetings are free and open to all community members over age 18.
“Virtual support groups offer the opportunity to connect with individuals in need of recovery support through peer interaction – regardless of location,” said White. “These meetings keep recovery support available to those who are isolated and cannot or do not want to attend in-person meetings.”
At SMART meetings, participants help each another resolve problems with any addiction, such as drugs, alcohol or activities such as gambling or overeating. Participants find and develop the power within themselves to change and lead fulfilling and balanced lives. The groups are guided by a 4-Point Program that includes:
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Managing thoughts, feelings and behaviors
- Living a balanced life
Some topics that have come up in SMART Recovery virtual meetings include:
- Loneliness and isolation
- More desire to use
- Violence in the home
- Family stress of homeschooling
- Domestic safety
- Fear of COVID-19
- Anger toward the government and policies
White said despite these challenging topics, facilitating SMART Recovery groups is “fulfilling and inspiring due to the beauty and resilience of the human spirt and the ongoing recovery support.” For more information, call Casey at 970.946.6227.
Axis virtual SMART Recovery classes are available at the following times:
- Tuesdays 1-2 p.m. – Free weekly addictive behavior support for the Piñon Project and community members over age 18
- Tuesdays 4:30-5:30 p.m. – Free weekly addictive behavior support for any Hilltop House client, and community members over age 18
- To join the meetings online, use this video link: https://call.lifesizecloud.com/3885416 Passcode: 5416
- To join the meeting by phone (audio only), call 312.584.2401, Meeting extension: 3885416#; Passcode: 5416#