Axis outreach teams enjoyed meeting veterans and sharing details of how to connect to community care at two events this fall: Montezuma Stand Down for Veterans on Sept. 18 in Cortez at the Montezuma County Annex; and the Four Corners Stand Down for Veterans on Oct. 6 in Durango at the La Plata County Fairgrounds. Axis staff attended the events live and partnered with many other vendors to provide support, encouragement and resources to 400+ veterans at the events.
“We held space for those who needed to talk about their mental health or struggles obtaining care,” said Shea Anderson, with the Axis Community Counseling Program, “while also providing resources to help them through what they were experiencing.”
Anderson said many veterans were grateful to receive primary, behavioral and dental care close to home at Axis clinics in Durango, Pagosa Springs, Cortez and Dove Creek – instead of traveling many miles to Albuquerque, Grand Junction or Moab to receive care through the VA. Additional benefits through Axis include:
- Pharmacy benefits, including medications by mail
- Help with applying for a sliding-fee scale
- Comprehensive care under the same roof (medical, dental, behavioral)
- No limits on number of visits to the clinic
- Referrals for faster access to behavioral healthcare
While Axis clinics are Authorized VA Providers, veterans must initiate VA authorization before making a first appointment at Axis clinics. Amie Reynolds, Patient Services Specialist at Cortez Integrated Healthcare, offers the following steps for veterans to get established for care at Axis clinics:
- Start by setting up an appointment with your original VA physician or Veteran Service Officer (VSO). Let them know you would like to see a community care provider under the Mission Act (CNN) program.
- Once you are approved, Axis Health System will receive an authorization form from TriWest.
- Axis staff will fill out a RFS form and send it along with other documents to the main VA hub in either Albuquerque or Grand Junction.
- The VA will review all documents for approval. This step takes about two weeks.
- After approval, the VA will send authorization to TriWest.
- TriWest will call the Axis clinic of your choice and schedule your first appointment.
Axis clinics are accepting new patients of all ages. To learn more about Axis services, visit:
- Archuleta County: Archuleta Integrated Healthcare
- La Plata County: La Plata Integrated Healthcare
- Montezuma County: Cortez Integrated Healthcare
- Dolores County: Dove Creek Integrated Healthcare