On two warm August afternoons, a parade of 1,400 enthusiastic Fort Lewis College freshmen learned that the campus and community offer them a network of supportive services.
Axis Health System staff, including Dr. Jill Rimmey of La Plata Integrated Healthcare (LPIH), enjoyed meeting new students during the 2021 Fort Lewis College Student Services Fair. The event was held on campus on Aug. 26 and 27. The Axis team engaged visitors with a prize wheel, “Color Your Emotion” matching game, a Title X Interactive Post-It Board, and plenty of fun giveaways with the imprint of the 24/7 Axis 24/7 Care Line number: 970.247.5245. Parents and students had an opportunity to learn about primary care, dental care and mental health services at La Plata Integrated Healthcare in Durango.
A few key takeaways for students and their families included:
- Be savvy about health insurance. Most private insurance is accepted at LPIH, which is located just “down the hill” a 10-minute bike ride, five-minute drive or a free bus ride from campus. The clinic also offers a sliding-fee scale for those who are eligible. The on-campus FLC Student Health Center is a great resource, but it does not accept parents’ private insurance. Services at the student health center will be directly billed to the student’s account.
- Many students are eligible for Medicaid. Experts on our team at LPIH can help students get signed up quickly to receive benefits. Call Christian Belman at 970.335.2288 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comprehensive care is convenient in a one-stop shop. LPIH offers primary care with same-day sick visits, telehealth visits, immunizations and care for chronic conditions; mental health services and medication management; and dental cleanings and referrals. All services are provided by a care team working side by side under the same roof.
- The clinic and crisis hotline are open during school breaks. On-campus services shut down for long winter and spring breaks, but LPIH remains open with regular business hours. The Axis 24/7 Care Line is a 24/7 response to behavioral health and crisis needs: 970.247.5245.
- The Sexual Health & Family Planning program is free or low-cost: Through the Title X program at LPIH, students can access confidential reproductive healthcare services. This will keep them safe, healthy and focused on staying in school. Axis Title X services include: healthy relationships, emergency contraception, birth control options, pregnancy testing and counseling, annual exams, STD testing and treatment and vaccinations for HPV and Hepatitis.
La Plata Integrated Healthcare is expanding capacity by adding two new providers in the fall and winter of 2021. New patients of all ages are accepted. To make an appointment and become a new patient, call 970.335.2288.